Monday, August 08, 2005

Jesus cracks me up!

I love today's Gospel reading (Matthew 17:22-27). I didn't hear it at Mass today because the priest chose the readings for the Memorial of Saint Dominic, but I read it this morning.

Jesus again tells His disciples about his upcoming Passion and Resurrection, and the latter were "overwhelmed with grief."

Then, almost or maybe most definitely to cheer them up, He performs what might be described as a "fun miracle." A discussion with Simon Peter regarding the temple tax led to the conclusion that "subjects," meaning folks like Jesus and Peter, were technically exempt from the tax. But on the other hand, Jesus didn't like the idea of offending the tax collectors. So here's what He told Peter, the fisherman, to do:

"...go to the sea, drop in a hook, and take the first fish that comes up. Open its mouth and you will find a coin worth twice the temple tax. Give that to them for me and you."

Is that priceless or what???