Friday, October 14, 2005

An Act of Faith

In today's First Reading (Romans 4:1-8), Saint Paul recalls the faith of Abraham, described as "the righteousness of faith."

It dawned on me that I hadn't prayed the "Act of Faith" I was taught as a child for quite some time...and that I should pray it more often. One wonderful thing about the Church is Her generosity with prayers. Of course, it's terrific to pray with one's own words, but when this becomes difficult, the Church provides. I've found there are several versions of the "Act of Faith," but here's the one I remember. Please, if you'd like, pray with me:

Oh my God, I firmly believe, that You are one God in Three Divine Perons: Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. I believe that Your Divine Son became Man, died for our sins, and that He will come to judge the living and the dead. I believe these and all the truths which the Holy Catholic Church teaches, because You have revealed them, You who can neither deceive nor be deceived.

Amen.