Friday, October 07, 2005

Equality. INCLUSIVENESS. (All Walter, all the time)

Okay.

Let's just say, for a moment, that Father Walter Cuenin's exodus was prompted by:

Those Mean Spirited People Who Resented Walter's Disagreement of Church Teaching Like, For Example, Her treatment of The Poor, The Disenfranchised, The Poor Gay People, Et Cetera, Et Cetera, Et Cetera.

Fine. Then what do we make of this op-ed piece by Father Joseph O'Donnell which speaks of "Corbona"?

What is "Corbona?"
As far as I can tell, it comes from the Hebrew word "corbon." In the Hebrew, it means "a sacrifice to God."

Father O'Donnell explains the term further regarding the Archdiocese of Boston:

During the late 1970s I held the elected position of president of the Archdiocesan Priests Senate, an advisory body to Archbishops Cushing and Medeiros. At that time the issue of a salary and stipend adjustment was proposed. It had been the custom in every parish that the stipends and fees for weddings, funerals, baptisms, and Masses were placed in a common pot known as the ''corbona." At the end of the month the pot was divided among the priests of the parish. [my emphasis]

It was obvious that if one were assigned to a bustling parish, the monthly share, added to a basic salary, was much larger than if one were stationed in the inner city or a smaller suburban parish. It became a matter of equity and justice among a number of priests across the archdiocese. [again, my emphasis...it's my blog]

In other words, although they might not have realized it, the "inclusive, we love the poor" parish known as Our Lady Help of Christians were basically screwing priests in poorer parishes. Am I the only one who sees this irony?

And am I the only one who wonders how in the word Father Walter Cuenin -- a well known champion of The Poor -- missed this...uh..."technicality?"

Here's the article. Please. Tell me I'm all wet. I'd love to believe it!