Saturday, March 04, 2006

"We interrupt this prayer..."

Did you ever find yourself in the middle of an intense conversation when the guy you were talking with stopped to answer his cell phone?

Or, were you ever about to make an important point to someone, only to find he was looking over your shoulder to smile at another person?

Stuff like this is not only rude...it's demeaning. It's saying, essentially, "you're not as important as something else."

I have a habit of praying. I'm not so sure it's a great habit.

Oh, don't get me wrong...praying is a good thing. What I often do (I realized this today), though, is what might be called "praying on the fly."

I see, for example, a person in a wheel chair and mumble a "Hail Mary." I pass a cemetery and rattle off a prayer for the dead.

'Course, if I'm driving, and I have to make a turn, the prayer is interrupted by the need to activate my blinker. If I'm walking, and I see someone I know, the prayer is interrupted to say "how d'ye do."

I want to stop this habit of "half-baked" prayer and instead concentrate fully on the one I'm talking to...and am supposed to be listening to. Whenever I pray.

I mean, gee. What if, when I'm finally face-to-face with Jesus, He looks over my head to wave at somebody else?