Sunday, September 17, 2006

He did NOT apologize! (Despite what the headlines say)

Even Zenit got it wrong in its headline: "Benedict XVI Apologizes for Muslim Offense".

Here's the first definition of "apologize":

1. To make excuse for or regretful acknowledgment of a fault or offense.

Here's what the Holy Father said:

"I am deeply sorry for the reactions in some countries to a few passages of my address at the University of Regensburg, which were considered offensive to the sensibility of Muslims."

In no way does B16 acknowledge his "fault or offense." Nor should he be expected to do so.

He's sorry for the reactions of some to his words.

I am, too, although not, alas in such a humble way as is the Holy Father.

I'm sorry, for example, for the apparent need to "react" by burning the Pope in effigy. And I'm far more sorry if this "reaction" had to include the murder of an Italian nun.

Pray for Islam. May Our Lady lead them to Christ.