Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Memorial Acclamation 1: Why the third person use?

Priest: "Let us proclaim the mystery of faith."

People
: "Christ has died, Christ has risen, Christ will come again."

Two things I'm not -- a liturgist and a theologian.


And I know that this acclamation has been around for eons, and is a favorite.
I only have one question, though:

Why?


It makes no sense to me. That is, I understand the Christ's death, resurrection, and second coming is a mystery of our faith.
But why are we "acclaiming" it as if Jesus had temporarily left the room?

I went to a dinner in honor of somebody once.


I forget who. But I do remember that various people stood up to give kudos to -- let's call him Seymour -- in the third person.

"Seymour is one heck of a guy."


"Seymour did thus and so to the benefit of our community."


"Seymour's work will continue to benefit all of us."

Okay. But each toast ended with a personal statement to Seymour! As in, "Seymour, thank you, we love ya, keep up the good work, etc."
My question is, if we can address Seymour in the first person -- after all, he was sitting at the place of honor -- why can't, or don't we always, do this for Jesus? Acknowledge His Real Presence, I mean.

Am I being horribly picky?