Saturday, December 23, 2006

Catholic Devotions

Lynne Flatley, at A Quiet Catholic, tagged me with this meme. Feel free to join in!

Favorite devotion or prayer to Jesus

The Mass

Favorite Marian devotion or prayer

The Rosary

Do you wear a scapular or medal?

No. (I wear a Crucifix, though.)

Do you have holy water in your home?

Yes. I get it free at a nearby chapel.

Do you "offer up" sufferings?

Yes. The Holy Souls in Purgatory are dear to me. (Although to be honest, the "offering up" is sort of a blanket thing I pray for in my Morning Offering. If I bang my head against the car door, for example, it might take a bit o' time before I remember to offer it up!)

Do you observe First Fridays and First Saturdays?

Not as such...I just usually happen to be at Mass on those days.

Do you go to Eucharistic Adoration? How frequently?

Yes, three days a week, again at a nearby chapel. And hat tip to my parish: during Advent and Lent, Holy Hours are offered on Sundays combined with Vespers.

Are you a Saturday evening Mass person or a Sunday morning Mass person?

Both. I'm usually near a Catholic church on Saturdays near Vigil Mass time, and I can't resist a Mass. Sunday Mass is a joy.

Do you say prayers at mealtime?

Yes.

Can you recite the Apostles Creed by heart?

Yes.

Do you usually say short prayers (aspirations) [comment here: I believe the better word for this is "ejaculations"] during the course of the day?

Yes.

Bonus question: when you pass by an automobile accident or other serious mishap, do you say a quick prayer for those involved?

Yes.

Okay.

Lest anybody think I'm holier than thou, may I quickly disabuse you of that notion? I live in Boston where there's hot and running holy water and Catholic churches all over the place. I'd like to think I'm a daily Communicant because I'm A Good Catholic, but the fact is, it's really easy to be one where I live.