Tuesday, March 06, 2007

I love you.

I pray a lot. A whole lot. I pray for you, I pray for people who have asked for my prayers, I pray for specific individuals, groups...a good part of my day is spent in intercessory prayer.

This does not make me a good person.

No, indeed, it makes me a rather greedy person. Because by praying for others, I'm in contact with God and that's all to the good for me. When you pray for someone else, you do yourself a favor as well as the one you pray for.

So, greedy as I am, I'm glad I pray. Because God listens to my prayers for you and others, which is good.

It's not really that difficult. For me, the key is pacing.

For me, morning is the best time to pray for most of the folks I want God to bless. After a Morning Offering, I swing into it. An hour later, prayers for you and others are pretty much done.

Except they're not.

Which is why I'm glad it's possible to pray all day.

Again, the key is pacing. And, if possible, scheduling, like religious people do. A lunch break, coffee and/or cigarette break, an afternoon walk -- all of these times are tailor-made for intercessory prayers. And then, of course, there is the evening when, after thanking God for the day, examining my conscience (always with a twinge and pretty much demanding an Act of Contrition!) there is still more time to pray for others.

But there's one time when only one -- or rather three -- words are needed.

Upon reception of Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament, I think, anyway, there need be only three words to say: "I love you." This, again in my opinion, is not really the time to ask for blessings...not if you've already done that, or intend to do so as the day goes on.

When you are intimately alone with Jesus -- and there is no better time than upon receiving Him in the Sacrament -- ah! This is the time to express only one fact: that you are as completely and thoroughly in love with Him as it is possible for you to be.

So do pray!

Pray for others, for those who have asked for your prayers, for those for whom you have promised to pray. (And hey, pray for me while you're at it!) Work at it! Put your whole heart and soul into it!

And then, when you receive Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament, give Him His due.

Tell Him you love Him.

And bask in His love in return.