Thursday, April 26, 2007

Don't take away my plastic bags!

Okay, I've admitted it before and I'll say it again: I'm cheap.

But I'm NOT a litterbug!

Therefore the Boston City Council's plan to ban plastic bags in stores has me fuming!

Well, maybe not fuming, but annoyed.

When they ask "paper or plastic," I say "both."

And with good reason! For one thing, the free (did I tell you I was cheap?) plastic bags make great trash can liners. And if I buy, say, a pound of fish, they prevent the fishy gunk (what is that stuff called, anyway?) from leaking through the paper and on to me.

"It's all about you, isn't it, Kelly?"

No it is not. I know other people who use the plastic bags for trash can liners. And to protect themselves from fish gunk (I know there's a name for it, I just can't think of it), and for other things, too.

The thing is, some people are idiots.

And no, I'm not just talking about the Boston City Council. I'm talking about the bone-heads who -- for what reason, I can't fathom -- feel it's cool to festoon the city's trees, streets, and other things with unused bags. Ergo, the proposed ban.

But why punish me?

Instead of passing ridiculous bans, why not slap a fine on those who engage in what is after all...littering?

I saw a used Dunkin' Donut coffee cup on the street just yesterday. Shall we ban paper coffee cups as well?

Sheesh!!!