Saturday, May 05, 2007

Episcopal Church: "the middle way?"

While reading a brief article on former governor Jim McGreevey's decision to (a) leave the Roman Catholic Church, (b) join the Episcopal sect and (c) enter the latter's seminary I saw an ad for an Episcopal parish called "Parish of the Messiah" in Newton, Massachusetts.

Following the ad, I learned that:

"Walking the middle way between Roman Catholicism and Protestant traditions, Episcopal churches are sacramental and worship-oriented communities that promote thoughtful conversation about what God is calling us to do and be."

This saddens me, on many levels, but I guess most of all the "middle way" route. I mean, why follow the "middle way" when the "narrow way" is "The Way to go?"

And while I heartily agree that talking with each other about what God is calling is to do and be, I'm not sure that we need have "thoughtful discussions" about it. To me, this sorta smacks of "dialogue"...as in: "does God mean that we should do X, or does God (one mustn't say "He") really mean we should do Y or, when you come right down to it, does it really matter if we do X, Y, or Z?"

It saddens me. But on the other hand it makes me so grateful for the Magisterium of the Catholic Church.

Please pray for our separated brothers in Christ.

Thanks!