Monday, November 26, 2007

Thomas Groome keynotes Boston Archdiocesan Catechetical Congress. Why?

Every day, following the Rosary which follows the Mass at Saint Francis Chapel in Boston, prayers are offered for the Holy Father and his intentions, as well as for the Archdiocese of Boston and our pastor, Sean Cardinal O'Malley.

When I read something like this, I'm doubly grateful for the latter prayers and think maybe they're bearing fruit. At least, that's what I really want to think.

Still, I've gotta ask:

Why would someone who has openly challenged Church teaching on everything from "women's ordination" to priestly celibacy to homosexuality be the star of the Catechetical show in Boston?

Has he changed his mind? Recanted his previous teachings and opinions?

I hope so. Because although I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, so to speak, it seems a bit odd to me to ask someone who has publicly dissented from Church teachings to teach the teachers of Church teaching.