Wednesday, March 03, 2010

The Seven Sorrows of Our Lady -- a great Lenten meditation

My husband gave me an incredible, 3-dimensional Crucifix hand sculptured in the Holy Land last Epiphany. I love it. But toward the beginning of Lent, I found I simply could not gaze upon it without losing control. A priest from Saint Francis Chapel suggested I try to meditate on the Seven Sorrows of The Blessed Virgin Mary.

I still am moved to tears whenever I look closely at the Crucifix...but my Blessed Mother helps me find joy in them.

The Seven Sorrows of the Blessed Virgin Mary

1. Simeon's prophecy

2. The flight into Egypt

3. The loss of the Child Jesus

4. Mary meets her Son on the road to Calvary

5. Mary sees her Son die on the Cross

6. Mary cradles her dead Son in her arms

7. Mary sees her Son laid in the tomb