Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Dear Lord, did I answer this at all correctly? I trust in You!

A reader wrote:

Hey Kelly, I'm having a hard time forgiving our roman catholic church for the continued and long history of child abuse. I do go to church lately, but I'm always reminded of the abuse of so many, and the protecting and transferring of these priest by Rome! I don't like to give money to my church any more, because of all the church funds that are used for law suits! How do you rectify all this and still believe out lord Jesus is still in charge of our church?

My answer:

Thank you for your note.


I spent much of the day wracking my head, trying to think of something Profound and Irrefutable to expound upon that would totally blow you away and convince you that being a Catholic is the Best Thing There Could Be...and came up empty.

As it happened, I needn't have busted what I laughingly call my brain. ;-)

First, I realized that today is the Memorial of Saint Faustina -- the little nun who promoted the endlessness of God's Divine Mercy.

Before Mass, I went to Confession...and was, once again, forgiven.


At Mass today, I heard in the first reading, the story of Jonah, God's mercy on Nineveh, and Jonah's being ticked off about it.


The Gospel centered on the Lord's Prayer..."forgive us, as we forgive those who sin against us."


During the homily, the priest mentioned that he'd programmed his phone to remind him every day at 3:00 PM -- the hour of Christ's death -- to pray the prayer Saint Faustina promoted: "Jesus, I trust in you."


I received Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament.


After Mass, I stayed for awhile and God gave me a beautiful gift...a treat for my eyes. I saw a lady walk slowly toward the tabernacle and, upon reaching it, sink to her knees in adoration and love.


I know that Jesus is still in charge of His Church because He left us Himself in the Blessed Sacrament...and because He told us He'd be with us, even until the end of time.


And I trust Him to do so.


I do hope this is somehow helpful, [person who wrote me]...you were in my prayers today and I look forward to praying for you some more. I ask for yours, whenever you get the chance.


Thank you,


Kelly


P.S. Money? My offerings aren't all that stupendous either, mostly because I'm broke half the time ;-)