Friday, January 02, 2015

"I'll pray for you" means bupkis. Do it NOW!

I can't tell you how many times I've heard well-meaning but incredibly naive people respond to a prayer request by saying, for instances:

"Oh yes, I'll pray for you."

"I'll keep him (or her or them) in my prayers."

"I'll remember him (or her or them) in my Mass (or Rosary or whatever)."

STOP THAT!

What do have to do that's more important than answering that prayer request RIGHT NOW?

Not to scare you…but you might be dead (or in a coma or diapering your baby or any number of things)…later.

So that "I'll" means nothing, really. Or, to be charitable? It means "let's hope I get the chance to pray (for you, or him or her)…later."

Drop the apostrophe ll! Stop what you're doing and pray NOW!

Let me make myself clear. When someone asks you -- in person, in a text, by phone, via email, on your Facebook or Twitter feed or whatever -- for a prayer? Please DO so. Then and there!

"But Kelly…what if I'm in the middle of…"

Doesn't matter. I don't care if you're comforting your child, explaining to your wife why the budget is kaput, learning about a friend's illness, death, or other sad thing, trying to digest the fact that you just got fired…it doesn't matter.

What matters is that, if you're asked to pray, pray NOW!

You needn't elaborate to God. 

I mean, if you're really, really in a situation that prevents you from uttering a few words to the Almighty, that's not a problem. "God, help him (or her or them)" is sufficient.

But is this usually the case when asked for your prayers? No it isn't.

You're, say, walking down the street. You meet an acquaintance. She's troubled. She asks you to pray for her. Do you pat her nicely on the arm and tell her you "will"? No. You. Do. Not.

You stop. You take a minute or two or three. You pray -- right out loud so she and any other passerby will hear you (God will, no matter how loud or softly you speak) -- right then and there.

And hey…there's a bonus for you!

When people ask for prayers, they're actually doing you a bigger favor than what they're asking of you. They're giving you a chance to talk to God.

It doesn't get any better than that.

So skip the "later" thing…and do it now.

May God continue to bless you!