Monday, February 25, 2008

Pray for priests...pray for MORE priests!

Back in January, Zenit ran an article stressing the need to pray for priests, especially women.

Spiritual mothers

“Regardless of age and marital status, all women can become spiritual mothers for a priest,” he explained. He [ Cardinal Hummes, prefect for the Congregation for Clergy] said the commitment implies praying “for a specific priest and thus accompanying him for life,” usually anonymously.

I think this is great. But I'm asking for more...

More priests! More good priests!

When Lent began, I started asking God for the following:

Heavenly, Most Adorable, and All Loving Father, please send more good priests to work in the vineyard of Your Son. I know you hear my prayer. I trust that you will answer it, because I ask you this favor through Jesus Christ, Who with You and the Holy Spirit, lives and reigns forever and ever. Amen.

Since beginning this prayer, the following has happened in chronological order.

1.) A local priest died.
2.) A priest in residence at my parish...left the parish.
3.) An Archdiocesan priest left the priesthood, and today I learned that...
4.) A former rector of Saint Francis Chapel in Boston drowned in a boating accident last Saturday.

I still know that God my Father hears my prayers. I still trust that He will answer them.

I'm asking you to join me.

Thank you.

P.S. Please, too, pray for the souls of Father Jim Nibler, his brother Lawrence and their friend Curtis Heuer, and for the consolation of their families. Thanks.