Thursday, August 11, 2005

Fran Kissling blasts NARAL (no typo here)

From the (now pulled) NARAL ad:

"Supreme Court nominee John Roberts filed court briefs supporting violent fringe groups and a convicted clinic bomber... Call your senators. Tell them to oppose John Roberts. America can't afford a justice whose ideology leads him to excuse violence against other Americans."

Leaving the "violence against other Americans" ideological irony aside (I mean it's just so easy) here's another bit of irony for you.

Within the larger liberal coalition of which NARAL is a part, there was considerable uneasiness about the advertisement, although leaders of other groups generally refused to speak on the record. One who did, Frances Kissling, the longtime president of Catholics for a Free Choice, said she was "deeply upset and offended" by the ad, which she called "far too intemperate and far too personal."

Kissling, who initiated the conversation with a reporter, said the ad "does step over the line into the kind of personal character attack we shouldn't be engaging in." She added: "As a pro-choice person, I don't like being placed on the defensive by my leaders. NARAL should pull it and move on."


They pulled the ad. And, although I don't consider NARAL my "leaders," Fran, I agree with your statement here...although I believe the word "out" is preferable to "on."