Friday, August 19, 2005

Think about Moses for a minute: suggestions welcomed!

Moses is the topic of a 4-day sort of seminar I'm leading for about 30-40 kids beginning on Monday. I've got the basic course all set, naturally, but I'm looking for more suggestions to connect his life to stuff going on today. The students range from kids prepping for First Confession to Confirmation candidates. (I know, it's odd, but strangely enough, it's worked in the past.)

For example: last year we focused on John the Baptist. The DRE insists on Old Testament figures -- and, I've come to believe, with some good reasons -- and I was able to draw on him as the last of the old time prophets, so to speak.

What worked so well with The Baptizer is that I was able to draw from his life two important issues: the reality of life in the womb ("the babe leapt") and his defense (to his death) of marriage.

I'd like to do something similar, using Moses as our guide.

So what I guess I'm asking is this: in what ways do you think the life of Moses can teach kids (and adults) about what we, as Church and as individuals, are facing today?

God willing, I'll let you know how it turns out, but if you've got some light to shine, by all means...turn the lamp on!

Thank you!