Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Deus Caritas Est

It's here.

I've read it and the one thing I realize is that I'd better read it again and again, and, I hope, with some help.

Love is a big subject!

But the Holy Father has covered it in an interesting, engaging, and thought-provoking way...with the emphasis on thought-provoking! I've got a lot of questions, but here's a quote that's got what I dubiously call my brain humming:

"The Church cannot and must not take upon herself the political battle to bring about the most just society possible. She cannot and must not replace the State. Yet at the same time she cannot and must not remain on the sidelines in the fight for justice. She has to play her part through rational argument and she has to reawaken the spiritual energy without which justice, which always demands sacrifice, cannot prevail and prosper. A just society must be the achievement of politics, not of the Church. Yet the promotion of justice through efforts to bring about openness of mind and will to the demands of the common good is something which concerns the Church deeply."