Thursday, January 12, 2006

Four Boston churches ponder: "Is it ethical to be Catholic?" (While another "vents.")

Nope, I'm not making this up. St. Anthony’s Shrine, the Paulist Center, St. Ignatius of Loyola Church, and the Jesuit Urban Center are cordially sponsoring a lecture and a workshop enabling folks to question the Catholic Church.

Sadly, not surprising. Nor new.

This reminds me of a Catholic parish in Newton, Massachusetts which held a "town meeting" awhile back.

They met to decide whether or not they wanted to stay Catholic. I wrote about it on my old and faithful website here.

Meanwhile, back in Newton...

The folks who back the pastor who once held a meeting for his flock to decide whether or not to "stay Catholic" are venting. Yes indeed!

I'm sorry, but this line cracks me up:

"Since Cuenin left, the parish has held closed-door sessions for parishioners to vent."

What do they do, I wonder? Close the doors, stamp their feet, and throw things?

So that's the news from Boston, friends. Four parishes are wondering if their Catholicism is "ethical"...and another just "vents."

This, of course, is why Boston is hailed universally as the model of how to strengthen the Roman Catholic Church.

Sheesh.