Sunday, December 10, 2006

The "Amazing Milingo"

Excommunicated Catholic Emmanuel Milingo "ordained" a couple of married men as "priests" in New Jersey today.

Milingo, who married a lady specially chosen for him by the Reverend Sun Myung Moon a few years back, this year formed the organization called "Married Priests Now!" (or, "M. P. N!")

It's amazing!

Milingo said since he announced the formation of Married Priests Now! this year, he has received numerous inquiries from people interested in the priesthood.

"It's amazing," he said. "These are people who, because of celibacy, did not advance to the priesthood, and now they want to be ordained."

Trying to put Milingo's comment into some perspective here...

  • It's amazing! Because of that icky math requirement, I did not become an accountant, but now that it's not necessary, I want to take my CPA exam!
  • It's amazing! Because I didn't want to practice my piano lessons, I did not advance toward my musical career, but now that ability isn't necessary, I want to put on a concert!
  • It's amazing! Because I didn't really buy into that resurrection thing, I didn't pursue Catholicism, but now that it doesn't matter, I'm planning my Confirmation party!
Sheesh.

Source: Forbes.com, Associated Press