Tuesday, December 12, 2006

A plea to priests: stick to the script!!!

Last Tuesday I was asked to read the Responsorial Psalm at a tiny chapel on the West Side of Boston. The response:

"Justice shall flourish in his time, and fullness of peace forever."

That's what I read. But that's not what the priest "proclaimed." No sir. Loudly, 'way over my voice (and those of the worshipers):

"Justice shall flourish in GOD'S time, and fullness of peace forever."

I'm growing weary of this...the treatment of the masculine pronoun as if it were a naughty word.

Please. Stick to the script.

Today, during the Eucharistic prayer, I was startled to hear the priest "pray":

"Remember our brothers and sisters and friends and family members and loved ones who have gone to their rest..."

HUH???

"Our brothers" would've been sufficient, in my opinion but the Missal states "our brothers and sisters" and that's fine with me. We're talking about -- duh! -- our brethren in Christ. And, um, that would include "friends and family members and loved ones." What was this priest thinking? That the phrase "brothers and sisters" only includes our biological siblings? What the bleep kind of theology is he spreading (unintentionally, I'm sure)?

I could go on, but you get my point. It's bad enough when lay folk start ad libbing the Word of God. But when priests do it, it's...just not right.