Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Examination of conscience, Saint Paul-style

If you've ever been to a Catholic or any Christian wedding, chances are you've heard the passage from Paul's 1 Corinthians 13, about love...or charity.

But it's really not a "romantic" passage.

Let me tell you what I mean...or rather, what a quiet, thoughtful fellow in a Bible study class I attended tonight offered as a reflection.

Quiet yourself, read the passage below, only try substituting your name for the word "love."

Love is patient, love is kind.
Love is not jealous, love is not pompous,
love is not inflated, it is not rude,
love does not seek its own interests,
love is not quick-tempered, it does not brood over injury,
love does not rejoice over wrongdoing
but (love) rejoices with the truth.
Love bears all things, believes all things,
hopes all things, endures all things.

I don't know how you did, but when I tried this I really realized I had a lot to pray about...and to work on.

God bless you...and me too!