Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Why would a priest omit the washing of hands?

Okay, I'm stumped on this one.

(Shocking, I know...Kelly actually stumped.)

Although I've heard of it happening in the past, I paid it no mind, since I've never seen the omission before.

But lately, a priest at a chapel I occasionally frequent during the week refuses to wash his hands, even while intoning (loudly) the words "Lord wash away my iniquities, cleanse me of my sins."

Now, I can sorta figure out why priests mess around with the Ordo, even if it irks me. My peanut brain can understand, while not condoning, say, the mucking around with the Missal when, let's say, a particular agenda ("inclusive language" comes to mind) is the driving force.

But what's the point of omitting the hand washing? I simply can't understand it. Do you?