Friday, October 26, 2007

"Bella"...are you anxious to see it, or have you?

Every pro-life office in the world (okay I'm exaggerating, but not by much) has urged me to see the "Pro Life Movie Bella" which opens I this weekend. This includes Cardinal Justin Rigali, chairman of the U.S bishops' conference committee on pro-life activities.

I haven't gone to any of the numerous private screenings, and, for some odd reason (and this could be just a silly aversion to the leading guy's persistent description as a "heartthrob") I'm not all that anxious to see it on the big screen. And I feel bad about that.

I gather from the hype that the movie is about a pregnant waitress who gets fired from her job, and doesn't get an abortion. Call my cynical, but isn't this the way it's supposed to be?

I realize that it isn't. But what is it about this movie that turns the culture of death around? I've read a couple of mainstream reviews...the consensus is that it's "sweet."

Again, I haven't seen the movie. If anybody wants to tell me why I should, feel free! Also, your reviews are welcome.