Sunday, January 19, 2014

Defending the Faith is Not Done by Attacking Other Christians


"One day, when I was nearly thirty years old, I invited Jack to an event: my baptism. I had started attending an Episcopal church and was convinced of the need for baptism. Would he come? Yes, he said, he would. Was he disappointed that I hadn't chosen the Catholic Church? (Another Christian friend had responded to my news with a tentative sort of `Really? The Episcopalians? Can I ask why?' I'd been crushed. I thought she would rejoice rather than pick apart my motives, and her reaction was sorely deflating to a fledgling Christian.) But Jack didn't even hint at disappointment. He was elated. He drove five hundred miles to be at the baptism. I had chosen Christ, and he wanted to be there, no matter what Christian denomination it was."


From Chapter 1, Deathbed Conversions, by Karen Edmisten, former atheist, now a Roman Catholic.

"That Christians of diverse denominations may walk toward the unity desired by Christ."

Pope Francis' January 2014 intentions

Here's the thing: the Holy Father and Karen's friend Jack are on the right track. Those Catholics who either oh-so-subtly or wow-so-blatantly attack our separated brethren, for the most part? Are screwing things up.

"…that they may al be one just as You, Father, are in me, and I in You, that they may also be in us, so that the world may believe that You have sent me."

Jesus, John 17:21

Just in case you don't believe Karen and the Pope.

While simultaneously growing exceedingly weary of outright attacks on Protestants ("they don't know how to pray"…huh?) I am growing exceedingly determined that this nonsense stop. Right now, if not sooner.

By the grace of God, I can, have, and God willing, will continue to defend the Catholic Church even unto death. (Ironically, this 'way too often entails taking on…people who call themselves "Catholics.")

The way to do this effectively is not by attack. Nor by snarky comments, insults, and other methods that can easily be translated into hate.

The way to do this effectively is by emulating The Savior's command, and formed by Diving Teaching: PRAYER and LOVE.

May God, in the sublime Unity of the Blessed and Holy Trinity, continue to bless you.