Friday, February 06, 2015

"Unless we get on our high horse…" I kinda like that

I was saddened when I read something from a very good friend of mine:

"May they burn in Hell!"

He's a Muslim.

Is that what he really wants? For people to burn in Hell?

"Oh, but he's a Muslim!" you say

Yes, I do say. But -- and yes, indeed, this intro is deliberate --

Unless we get on our high horse…

My friend was talking about ISIS.

And unless we get on our high horse…

I've also heard the same sentiments from Jews and Christians. Including priests and rabbis.

"May they burn in Hell!"

Here's the thing: this sucks.

I'm not a Muslim. Nor am I a Jew. I'm a Catholic, but, for the sake of my point? I'm a Jesus-lover. A God-lover.

And, as such? I know that war sucks. Persecution sucks.

Wishing anybody to "burn in Hell"…that sucks, too.

Because this, friends, is not how peace is achieved.

Jesus said it better: "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do."

Saints above (saints above!) have repeated these words over, and over, and over again. And died doing so.

And, I believe -- no, I know -- that they were and remain gloriously in Heaven...for doing so.

Saul approved of Stephen's martyrdom. Stephen prayed for him…while dying.

And, as Saint Augustine reminds us: "If Stephen hadn't prayed for Saul, the Church wouldn't have a Saint Paul."

Read this account of Saint Paul Miki's last words…and if you're able to do so? Get off your bleeping high horse.

As I come to this supreme moment of my life, I am sure none of you would suppose I want to deceive you. And so I tell you plainly: there is no way to be saved except the Christian way. My religion teaches me to pardon my enemies and all who have offended me. I do gladly pardon the Emperor and all who have sought my death. I beg them to seek baptism and be Christians themselves.

May God continue to bless you.