Friday, June 05, 2015

Filed under "what feasts we make of crumbs:" Stewart, the Ashers, and a bleeping cake

So anyway, this guy Gareth Lee, uh, coincidentally, I'm sure, [insert sarcastic raised eyebrow here and ask for my forgiveness if I'm wrong] ordered, from a Christian family run bakery in Northern Ireland a cake. Fine. That's what the family bakery does…make cakes.

Only Mr. Lee wanted a "specially designed" cake…one festooned with the credo:

"Support Gay Marriage"…sorta like this. Yep, complete with Sesame Street's Bert & Ernie. Okay.

Image result for support gay marriage cake ireland

The Asher family said "thanks but no thanks." And were promptly found guilty of discrimination by the powers that be. And fined a rather hefty sum.

Okay, that sucks.

But be o' good cheer! Homosexual activist (and, yes, cool "Star Trek Guy") steps up to the plate.

"Finally I find myself on the side of the bakers," he said. "It was not because this guy was a gay couple they objected, it was not because they were going to be celebrating some kind of marriage, it was the actual words on the cake they objected to, they found them offensive…I would support their right to say `no, this is personally offense to my beliefs, I will not do it.' But I feel bad for them that it cost them 500 quid."

 [Which is about $740.00, by the way.]

And lo and behold? The media goes wild…about some guy saying a reasonable thing!

Don't take my word for it. Just google "support gay marriage cake" and good ol' Patrick is on your top stories screen. 

Huh?

Let's look at this another way. Here are some wacky cake ideas, and the bakers asked to carry them out:

Baker, and Planned Parenthood President Cecile Richards: "Life Begins at Conception! Ban Abortion!"

Baker, and Roman Catholic Pontiff Francis: "Islam is The True Faith!"

Baker, and Grand Imam Ahmed el-Tayeb: "Jesus Really is God!"

Baker, and U.S. President Barack Obama: "Republicans Rule!"

Baker, and former Alaskan governor Sarah Palin: "Vote for Obama!"

Well…you get my point. At least I hope you do. If you don't? Here it is:

There's a W I D E difference between right and wrong…and if you choose what's right? You're not a hero…you're just a person doing the right thing. Don't expect a bleeping medal.

May God continue to bless you. And remember:

Luke 17:10